---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: <r-help-ow...@r-project.org>
Date: 2013/2/8
Subject: vegdist Error en double(N * (N - 1)/2) : tama?o del vector
especificado es muy grande
To: caro.bell...@gmail.com

Message rejected by filter rule match

---------- Mensaje reenviado ----------
From: caro bello <caro.bell...@gmail.com>
To: r-help@r-project.org
Date: Fri, 8 Feb 2013 15:18:40 -0800 (PST)
Subject: vegdist Error en double(N * (N - 1)/2) : tamaño del vector
especificado es muy grande
Hi
I have some problems with the vegdist function. I want to calculate a
distance matrix with jaccard. I have binary data.

The problem is that i have a matrix of 138037 rows (sites) and 89 columns
(species). my script is:

    rm(list=ls(all=T))

    gc() ##para borrar todo lo que quede oculto en memoria

    memory.limit(size = 100000) # it gives 1 Tera from HDD in case ram
memory is over

    DF=as.data.frame(MODELOS)

    DF=na.omit(DF)

    DISTAN=vegdist(DF[,2:ncol(DF)],"jaccard")

Almost immediately IT produces the error: Error en double(N * (N - 1)/2) :
tamaño del vector especificado es muy grande

I think this a memory error, but i don´t know why if i have a pc with 32GB
of ram and 1 Tera of HDD.

I also try to do a dist matrix whit the function dist from package proxy, i
did:

  library(proxy)

    vector=dist(DF, method = "Jaccard")

it starts to run but when it gets to 10 GB of ram, a window announces that R
committed an error and it will close, so it closes and start a new section.

I really don't know what is going on and less how to solve this, can anybody
help me?

thanks

Carolina Bello IAVH-COLOMBIA