Hello,

Try the following.

levels <- c("democrat", "republican", "other")
dem <- c(1,1,1,1,0,0,0,0)
rep <- c(1,1,1,0,0,0,0,0)
other <- c(1,0,0,0,0,0,0,0)

party <- factor(rep(levels, c(sum(dem), sum(rep), sum(other))))
party

Hope this helps,

Rui Barradas

Em 19-02-2013 00:01, Nicole Ford escreveu:
hello, all.

in my previous research, i have always used existing data.  i am trying
something new as an exploratory exercise and have never create my own variable
form scratch.

essentially, i am creating a variable for party affiliation.

here is an example.

var =party.

levels= democrat, republican, other.

respondents will indicate which category they fall under.

for the sake of ease, i will use small data as an example.

i was thinking the levels would need to be created first-

dem <- c(1,1,1,1,0,0,0,0)

rep <- c(1,1,1,0,0,0,0,0)

other <- c(1,0,0,0,0,0,0,0)

then, i could do:

party <-cbind(den, rep, other)

par1 <-factor(party)

this is where i am getting stuck...  any thoughts would be appreciated.

i promise this isn't homework.  i am trying to understand how i would go about
creating variables if i choose to go in this direction in the future...  and
work out the kinks now.