To know for sure we need to know how you are running these different R
sessions, but here are some possibilities:

The help page for "set.seed" says that if no seed exists then the seed is
set based on the current time (and since 2.14.0 the process ID).  So one
possibility is that 2 of the sessions are started close enough together
that they get the same seed.  Or the difference in time and process ID
cancel each other out.

Another possibility (also mentioned in the help page) is that if the seed
was saved in a previous session then it will be restored in the new
session, if all the sessions are reading in the same stored session (or
just the 2 that are the same) then they would start from the same seed.

On Tue, Feb 19, 2013 at 6:31 PM, C W <tmrs...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi, list
> I am doing 100,000 iterations of Bayesian simulations.
>
> What I did is I split it into 4 different R sessions, each one runs 25,000
> iteration.  But two of the sessions gave the simulation result.
>
> I did not use any set.seed().  What is going on here?
>
> Thanks,
> Mike

Gregory (Greg) L. Snow Ph.D.
538...@gmail.com