For some of the fancier transforms it may be easier to use an outside tool
such as Imagemagick which will do a lot of these things.  There is even a
C++ interface to imagemagick that may work nicely with packages like Rcpp
if you don't want to use an intermediate file.

But jobs like converting to grayscale can be very simple using R itself.
 Many of the functions that read in images store them as 3 dimensional
arrays and you would just need an apply command to change the 3 values for
each pixel to a grayscale value (see col2gray in the TeachingDemos package
for one way to do this, though loading in the whole package is probably
overkill for something this simple).

--
Gregory (Greg) L. Snow Ph.D.
538...@gmail.com