Hi Mackay and anybody
(a) Is it possible to select randomly (let say five grids) and plot?
(b) Is it possible to plot five nearest grid in one figure?
The original question and improved codes:

#I am ploting gridded time series data. I would like the actual lat
#and lon value appear on the graph-if possible inside the graph as
#numbers. If there is also more elegant ways to plot the graphs I
#>will appreciate more suggestions.
#################################
library(ggplot2)
library(lattice)
month <- c("Jan", "Feb", "Mar", "Apr", "May", "Jun", "Jul",
"Aug", "Sep", "Oct", "Nov", "Dec")
month <- factor(month, levels = month.abb)
data <- as.data.frame(expand.grid(lon=seq(4,5, 1), lat=seq(-3,-2,1),
year=seq(2010, 2012,1), month=month))
n=nrow(data)
data$prec <- rgamma(n, 2, 0.25)
data$year <- factor(data$year)
data$lon  <- factor(data$lon)
data$lat  <- factor(data$lat)
ndata <- data[order(data$lon, data$lat),]
fix(ndata)
max <- max(ndata$prec, na.rm=TRUE)
min <- min(ndata$prec, na.rm=TRUE)

#Plot the graph and save as pdf by Mackay suggestion
pdf("H:/file.pdf")
library(latticeExtra)
useOuterStrips(
xyplot(prec~month|year*paste(lat,lon), data=ndata,
as.table = T,
type = c("l", "l","p"), ylim=c(min, max),
layout=c(1,4)) )
dev.off()#The actual data have more than 5 thousand data points, Just want to
plot a few
#selected randomly. Also, if I can put 5 data points (nearest grids) in one
graph
#will be more helpful.

Peter Maclean
Department of Economics