Have you queried the value of 'cex' and related parameters at the different
time points?

The help page for par says that when you set mfcol or mfrow that cex is
changed, but I don't know if the layout function also changes those or not.
 I would start by peppering your code with calls to par('cex') to see what
R thinks the parameter is at the time of the different plots.  That may
answer your question, or if not at least give up more information to work
with.

On Tue, Feb 26, 2013 at 3:46 PM, Martin Batholdy <batho...@googlemail.com>wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I try to make multiple plots look as similar as possible.
>

> I create each plot with pdf(), using the same height but different width
> in inch.
> For some plots I use the layout() function to draw multiple subplots side
> by side in one pdf.
>
> For each plot I use the same cex values for the different plotting
> functions
> (cex.axis, cex.lab, cex.points etc.)
>
> Still, when I compare the pdf's the axis labels, titles etc. have
> different size factors!
>
> Is that expected?
>
> I thought by fixing the height parameter and using the same character
> expansion values I would end up with similar plots
> (and especially same font size across pdfs).
>
> How can I make sure that across multiple plot calls the character
> expansion level (font size) is the same?
>

> thanks!

Gregory (Greg) L. Snow Ph.D.
538...@gmail.com