Fantastic! Thanks, Don. I saw contrMat() and base option, but for whatever reason I didn't see how/if they fit together.

Your help is greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Andrew

On 02/27/2013 03:07 PM, MacQueen, Don wrote:
I think you can probably specify the base level using the contrMat()
function, which has a 'base=' argument.

Disclaimer:
This is a fragment from something I did recently, and is not intended to
be reproducible by anyone else. Rather, it is intended to provide a hint
as to how to use the contrMat() function for Andrew's key question. (so no
side comments about posting etiquette, please)

    fita <- aov(vv ~ tfac, data=vsub)
    ngrp <- table(vsub$tfac)
    cm <- contrMat(ngrp)
    dt.lt <- glht(fita, linfct=mcp(tfac=cm), alternative='less')
-Don