On Feb 27, 2013, at 6:18 PM, David Winsemius wrote:

> On Feb 27, 2013, at 4:29 PM, zoe richards wrote:
>
>> I have a simple question that irritatingly I haven't been able to figure
>> out on my own.  It seems that some functions from the "Pspline" package are
>> successfully installed while others are not.  The code with which I'm
>> working is more complicated, but the following highlights my problem.  If I
>> run the following code
>>
>>> tt <- seq (0,1,length=20)
>>> xt <- tt^3
>>> fit <- smooth.Pspline (tt, xt, norder=3,spar=0.0001, method=1)
>>> pred<- predict.smooth.Pspline (fit, tt, nderiv=0)
>>
>> I get this error:
>> "Error: could not find function "predict.smooth.Pspline" "
>>
>> So it seems like "smooth.Pspline" is loading but "predict.smooth.Pspline"
>> isn't.  Any ideas about why this might be the case?
>
> Where are you getting the "Pspline" package. I only see a "pspline" package
> on CRAN. (I'm surprised you did not get an error when trying to load with
> that spelling, so maybe you do have such a package?) My guess is that you
> failed to load the package, either through misspelling of not knowing that
> package needed to be loaded. One of the reasons that the Posing Guide
> requests that all questions be accompanied by the output of sessionInfo() is
> to cover cases like this.

In a private message Zoe proved to me that she had loaded the `pspline`
package. (You should not reply privately, Zoe.) It only remained to do this
(after loading the package):

> pred<- predict.smooth.Pspline(fit, tt, nderiv=0)
Error: could not find function "predict.smooth.Pspline"

> pred<- predict(fit, tt, nderiv=0)
> str(pred)
 num [1:20, 1] 0.004091 0.000253 -0.000499 0.001918 0.007715 ...

So in trying to go around the usual dispatch of functions by class you were
creating unnecessary confusion. I don't know if maybe the spelling of the class
with a period could be the root of the confusion?

Go Blue.

--
David Winsemius
Alameda, CA, USA