Try the following to see if it does what you want:

## init
con <- textConnection("output", "w")
options(echo=FALSE)
sink(con)

addTaskCallback( function(expr, out, err, vis) {
sink()
close(con)
if(vis) {
cat(paste("#", output, collapse="\n"), "\n")
}
con <- textConnection("output", "w")
sink(con)
TRUE
})

3+4
5*6
tmp <- 7-8
ls()

### clean up when finished
removeTaskCallback(1)
sink()
options(echo=TRUE)

This misses errors and warnings, but should do what you want for everything
else.

On Sat, Mar 2, 2013 at 6:35 AM, Marcus Kriele <mkri...@me.com> wrote:

> Dear all,
> knitr writes a comment sign in front of each line of console output.  This
> extremely useful, especially for beginners who are starting to write
> scripts.  One could just compose their script in the console (getting
> immediate output) and then copy the whole chunk into their .r-file.
> I have been able to configure the options such that the prompt and the
> continuing line labels are replaced by blanks.  However, I do not know how
> to automatically comment out each line of output.  Ideally, my console
> would behave exactly like knitr.
>
> At my work place I only have access to the R console that is included the
> standard download for windows.  I cannot replace it by an editor that may
> have additional features.
>
> Would there be a way to achieve the knitr-look in the standard console?
>
> Many thanks,  Marcus

Gregory (Greg) L. Snow Ph.D.
538...@gmail.com