I don't see any mention of odfWeave yet.  It works with OpenOffice files.
 OpenOffice is a free equivalent to MS Office and can read and write Word
documents.  So you can create your template file in OpenOffice (or use MS
word and convert to OpenOffice format, OO will read word docs, and recent
versions of Word will write OpenOffice docs), process it with R and
odfWeave, then convert the result to Word (or open it with recent versions
of Word that read odf files).

Note that Sword and R2wd have a part of their toolchain that is not free
software, so if you use either check to make sure that you have filled the
license conditions.

These days I personally use eithre the pander package or knitr (usually
with Markdown, sometimes LaTeX) and use pandoc to convert to Word format.
 Most of my tables are simple enough that this works great, with something
more complicated I would follow Frank's advice and first create a pdf from
LaTeX, then convert from there if needed.

Gregory (Greg) L. Snow Ph.D.
538...@gmail.com