Dear list,

I came across a behavior that IMHO is somewhat undesired when calling
'$field()':
If the field name whose value you're trying to get is *not* a valid
field of the Reference Class, then R doesn't stop there with an error,
but scans through all enclosing environments/frames. The result is
something similar to calling '|get(<objname>, inherits=TRUE)|' when
you'd actually expect something like ' get(<objname>, inherits=FALSE)'
to be the default (at least I do) in order to avoid undesired retrieval
results.

Here's a little illustration of the behavior:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/15529251/avoiding-consideration-of-enclosing-frames-when-retrieving-field-value-of-a-s4-r

Best regards,
Janko