Hello,

I want to use pearson's correlation as distance between observations and
then use any centroid based linkage distance (ex. Ward's distance)

When linkage distances are formed as the Lance-Williams recursive
formulation, they just require the initial distance between observations.
See here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ward%27s_method

It is said that you have to use euclidean distance between the initial
observations. However i have found this:

http://research.stowers-institute.org/efg/R/Visualization/cor-cluster/

where they use pearson's correlation for hierarchical clustering.

Any idea if anything is violated in case pearson's correlation is used with
Ward's linkage function?

the dissimilarity of pearson's correlation can be defined as d =
sqrt(1-pearsonsimilarity^2). can that be considered as norm1 distance? and
thus norm2 if we square it? so that the wikipedia's statement "To apply a
recursive algorithm under this objective function, the initial distance
between individual objects must be (proportional to) squared Euclidean
distance." is valid?

Best,
Pierre