Note the edited subject line!  I don't know why I typed it as it was before.

This says that as.numeric(as.character(f)) will work regardless of the
implementation, and I agree.

It's the recommendation to use as.numeric(levels(f))[f] that has me
wondering about section 2.3.1 of the language definition.  I expect that
this idiom is in widespread use, and perhaps the language definition should
be changed.