I use R / RStudio at work.  Recently, I tried to download XLConnect package
using

install.packages("XLConnect")

However, I got the following error message:

Installing package(s) into 'WORKCOMPUTER SPECIFIC STUFF HERE
Documents/R/win-library/2.15'
(as 'lib' is unspecified)
trying URL
'http://www.stats.bris.ac.uk/R/bin/windows/contrib/2.15/XLConnect_0.2-5.zip'
Warning in install.packages :
  InternetOpenUrl failed: 'The operation timed out'
Error in download.file(url, destfile, method, mode = "wb", ...) :
  cannot open URL
'http://www.stats.bris.ac.uk/R/bin/windows/contrib/2.15/XLConnect_0.2-5.zip'
Warning in install.packages :
  download of package 'XLConnect' failed

I think the reason for the problem is that I'm in a corporate environment and
our firewall spends 2-3 mins scanning the zip file before releasing it.  I
think the solution requires me to tell R to override (what I believe is) the 60
second time-out default setting when you run install.packages.  At least I
think install.packages calls download.file  I need to extend the time-out
window, so that the firewall can do its thing.

Some notes, which I think are relevant:

Ø  Although I'm working in a corporate environment, I have worked with my IT
team to ensure that HTTP/proxy measures allow on the fly package download, e.g.
no problems with install.packages("ggplot2")

Ø  I've also tried using "setInternet2(TRUE)" before the above, which made no
difference

Ø  I've also tried using: "options(timeout=300)" before the install.packages
command, in order to attempt to force a five-minute window ; this had no affect

Ø  The target file does exist on Bristol's servers if you search for the
website using internet explorer

Ø  I can download the package manually (although our security measures spend
some time scanning this particular package).  Once saved locally, I
successfully run install.packages to load the file from the local drive, but
that's hardly the way forward if I want to keep things up to date!

Ø  I have tried Imperial College's server, which also fails, so it's not a
mirror issue.

Ø  I have run the same code at home to the same Bristol mirror and get no
issues.

A bit stuck, therefore!

Atrium Underwriters Ltd is authorised and regulated by the Financial Services
Authority.
Atrium Insurance Agency Ltd is authorised and regulated by the Financial
Services Authority.
Atrium Insurance Agency (Asia) Pte. Ltd. is authorised and regulated by the
Monetary Authority of Singapore.

The information in this email, and in any of its attachments, is confidential
and may be legally privileged.  It is intended solely for the addressee.
Access to this email, and to any of its attachments, by anyone else is
unauthorised.  If you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying,
distribution or any action taken or omitted to be taken in reliance on it, is
prohibited and may be unlawful.  If you have received this email in error
please notify us immediately (by telephone on +44 (0)20 7327 4877 or by return
email) and destroy the message, together with any attachments and all copies in
your possession. Any views expressed in this email are not necessarily those of
Atrium Underwriting Group Ltd or any of its subsidiaries.
Atrium Underwriting Group Ltd, Room 790, Lloyd's, 1 Lime Street, London EC3M
7DQ. Registered in England No. 2860390. Atrium Insurance Agency Ltd, Room 790,
Lloyd's, 1 Lime Street, London EC3M 7DQ. Registered in England No. 5993519.
Atrium Underwriters Ltd, Room 790, Lloyd's, 1 Lime Street, London EC3M 7DQ.
Registered in England No. 1958863 Registered Office as above
This footnote also confirms that this email message has been swept by MIMECast
for the presence of computer viruses.