Dear Milan and David,

Thank you both very much for your help!  I finally figured it out.

Text on the website was UTF-8, but in the process of downloading it using
RDF, it got converted to the java/javascript encoding.  To convert it back
to UTF-8:

> test <- "4.5\\u00B5g of cDNA was used"
> iconv(test, "JAVA", "UTF-8")
[1] "4.5µg of cDNA was used"

This may also impact anyone using JSON with R.  Posting here in case it
helps anyone else.  =)

-Emily