Dear R-help list:

I have two related questions regarding the functions boot.strength and
custom.strength in bnlearn.

1)
I am using the following commands (on a set of continuous data, the
example here run on fake data):

 > myblacklist<-data.frame(from=c("x1", "x1",  "x1",   "x2", "x2",
"x2")) ,  to=c("x2", "n3",  "n4",  "x1"," n3", "n4"))
 > result <- boot.strength(data, R=200, algorithm="mmhc",
algorithm.args=list(blacklist=myblacklist))

 > bootstrength
     from    to    strength direction
1    n3    n4    1.000       0.5
2    n3    x1    0.340       0.5
3    n3    x2    0.115       0.5
4    n4    n1    1.000       0.5
5    n4    x1    0.080       0.5
6    n4    x2    1.000       0.5
7    x1    n3    0.340       0.5
8    x1    n4    0.080       0.5
9    x1    x2    0.000       0.0
10    x2    n3    0.115       0.5
11    x2    n4    1.000       0.5
12    x2    x1    0.000       0.0

Question: I have specified a blacklist. I would have expected this to
completely disallow the arcs on the blacklist. But the result shows that
some of the blacklisted arcs have a strength > 0 (rows 7,8,10,11). It
seems that only the arc that was blacklisted in both directions was
actually banned (x1-x2, in rows 9 and 12). What is the reason for this?
Is there a way to completely disallow all blacklisted arcs, such that
their strength is 0.0? Or is there a compelling reason why that should
not be done?

2) In the documentation of custom.strength, the following code example
is given:

start = random.graph(nodes = names(learning.test), num = 50)
netlist = lapply(start, function(net) { hc(learning.test, score = "bde",
iss = 10, start = net) })
arcs = custom.strength(netlist, nodes = names(learning.test), cpdag = FALSE)

This code makes 50 different networks from the same data, then uses them
as input for custom.strength. The networks are constructed using the
algorithm "hc". A different network is produced every time "hc" is
invoked because a random starting network is supplied to the parameter
"start". I would like to do the same thing, but use "mmhc" instead of
"hc". However, in my hands, the networks that are constructed by "mmhc"
are all identical, and I am not sure how to introduce a random element
into the construction. Question: Which parameters do I need to give to
"mmhc" in order to obtain a different network every time it is run on
the same data set?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

--
Leonore Wigger