I'm running R 2.15.2 on Max OS X 10.6.8

If I write a simple file

Data1<-1
DF<-data.frame(Data1)
colnames(DF)<-"Col1"

and write to a csv file

write.table(DF,file="Data.csv",sep=",",row.names=FALSE,col.names=TRUE)

I can then append to it no problem

Data2<-2
Data3<-4

DF2<-data.frame(Data2)
DF3<-data.frame(Data3)

write.table(DF2,file="Data.csv",sep=",",row.names=FALSE,col.names=FALSE,append=TRUE)
write.table(DF3,file="Data.csv",sep=",",row.names=FALSE,col.names=FALSE,append=TRUE)

All good so far.

But the problem arises if I then need to edit the data sheet and continue
to append using the above code. If I open up the data sheet in excel and
delete a line, the next time I try and append the data as above the first
new line of data starts at the end of the last row of data (though all
subsequent new lines are appended properly).

I'm sure when I manually delete the line in excel I am removing the
invisible carriage return character, causing the first line of new data to
be added onto where the carriage return used to be.

Is there a way to specify in append=TRUE to always start with a new line of
data in the spreadsheet? Failing that, is there a work around to avoid this
problem?