Thanks all for your helpful suggestions. I replaced the hard drive of this
computer and augmented the RAM to 8 GB over the weekend, and things seen to
be running very smoothly now. I'll certainly use the methods provided here
as I push the limits on these types of matrices and objects.

Best
*Ben Caldwell*