Could someone please suggest a method to store the current random seed. I'm
having trouble understanding how to correctly use set.seed and .Random.seed.

Specifically, I have the following code that crashes:

set.seed(seed)

for(i in 1:10){

  print( runif(1))

}

To get around this I need to split the number of iterations into chunks:

set.seed(seed)

for(i in 1:5){

print(runif(1))

new.seed<-.Random.seed

}

set.seed(new.seed)

for(i in 6:10){

print(runif(1))

}

When I compare the sequence of numbers from the single run to the sequence from
the chunked code they don't match. Is the .Random.seed argument in the wrong
position or is there another way to accomplish this?

Caitlyn Ellerbe

Division of Biostatistics
Department of Public Health
Medical University of South Carolina