I have not experienced that, but have you tried to see if killing the processes helps? On Windows CTRL+ALT+DEL usually brings up the system monitor or whatever it's called, where you can see programs and processes currently running. If your R gets stuck in a loop then you may see some reference to R even after you close or exit the R program. Use the Windows monitor to kill it. Tedious but quicker than restarting your computer.

Patrick.