I understand this might be a silly question, but I have problems
understanding the statistic term returned in most permutation packages.
for example:

x<-c(8,4,6)
y<-c(5,3,4)
 res<-exactRankTests::perm.test(x,y,paired=TRUE)
         1-sample Permutation Test
data:  x and y
T = 6, p-value = 0.25
alternative hypothesis: true mu is not equal to 0

attributes(res)
$names
[1] "statistic"   "p.value"     "pointprob"   "null.value"  "alternative"
"method"      "data.name"
$class
[1] "htest"

res$statistic
6

I cannot figure out what the T stands for. I understand it is "T statistic"
but it is not the t-score.
Can some one tell me what formula is used for the T statistic.
In general is there some way to look for what function is used to calculate
the statistics?

Thanks