On 01/06/2013 22:44, Anthony Damico wrote:
hope this helps..  :)

     # define an object `x`
     x <- list( "any value here" , 10 )

     # set `myoption` to that object
     options( "myoption" = x )

     # retrieve it later (perhaps within a function elsewhere in the package)
     ( y <- getOption( myoption ) )

it's nice to name your options `mypackage.myoption` so users know what
package the option is associated with in case they type `options()`

here's the `.onLoad` function in the R survey package.  notice how the
options are only set *if* they don't already exist--

But a nicer convention is that used by most packages in R itself: if the option is not set, the function using it assumes a suitable default. That would make sense for all the FALSE defaults below.

Note though that this is not 'persistent': users have to set options in their startup files (see ?Startup). There is no official location to store package configurations. Users generally dislike software saving settings in their own file space so it seems very much preferable to use the standard R mechanisms (.Rprofile etc).

survey:::.onLoad

function (...)
{
     if (is.null(getOption("survey.lonely.psu")))
options(survey.lonely.psu = "fail")
     if (is.null(getOption("survey.ultimate.cluster")))
options(survey.ultimate.cluster = FALSE)
     if (is.null(getOption("survey.want.obsolete")))
options(survey.want.obsolete = FALSE)
     if (is.null(getOption("survey.adjust.domain.lonely")))
options(survey.adjust.domain.lonely = FALSE)
     if (is.null(getOption("survey.drop.replicates")))
options(survey.drop.replicates = TRUE)
     if (is.null(getOption("survey.multicore")))
options(survey.multicore = FALSE)
     if (is.null(getOption("survey.replicates.mse")))
options(survey.replicates.mse = FALSE)
}
<environment: namespace:survey>