Dear R Users,
I have always used ASReml, MTDFREML, SAS, etc. to estimate genetic correlation
(Rg) between two continuous quantitative traits (also continuous and binary
trait) but never used R to estimate Rg. However, I use R for many of my other
statistical analysis needs; the R package is a great tool that has advanced to
a level that now we can estimate whole genome-enabled breeding values in
genomic selection research. So, with the aim of moving out of those packages
(listed above) which are either expensive or have little support, I would like
to know if we can estimate Rg between two binary traits (disease status: alive
vs. dead) with the R package.

My data: we have 100 full-sib (FS) families, and two random samples (each with
n= 200 FS fish) from each FS family were evaluated for disease resistance to
two different bacterial diseases, separately. Both traits are not recorded in
the same individual; both traits are recorded in different full-sibs from a FS
family. So using this family relationship (full-sibs), I would like to estimate
the Rg between these two disease resistance traits; of course I would like to
estimate it with R package. I would like to have directions on which R package
to use if any, or combination of R functions needed to use to calculate the Rg
(between two binary traits; disease survival traits), an R script ready to use
would also be great.  Thank you very much in advance for your help.
Roger

Roger L. Vallejo, Ph.D.
U.S. Department of Agriculture, ARS, NCCCWA
Voice:  (304) 724-8340 Ext. 2141
Email:  roger.vall...@ars.usda.gov<mailto:roger.vall...@ars.usda.gov>
http://www.ars.usda.gov/pandp/people/people.htm?personid=37662

This electronic message contains information generated by the USDA solely for
the intended recipients. Any unauthorized interception of this message or the
use or disclosure of the information it contains may violate the law and
immediately.