What I would do is to use "memory.size()" to get the amount of memory being
used.  Do a call at the beginning of the function to determine the base,
and then at other points in the code to see what the difference from the
base is and keep track of the maximum difference.  I am not sure if just
getting the memory usage at the end would be sufficient since there may be
some garbage collection in between, or you might be creating some large
objects and then deleting/reusing them.  So keep track after large chunks
of code to see what is happening.

On Thu, Jun 20, 2013 at 10:45 AM, Jonathan Greenberg <j...@illinois.edu>wrote:

> Folks:
>
> I apologize for the cross-posting between r-help and r-sig-hpc, but I
> figured this question was relevant to both lists.  I'm writing a
> function to be applied to an input dataset that will be broken up into
> chunks for memory management reasons and for parallel execution.  I am
> trying to determine, for a given function, what the *maximum* memory
> usage during its execution is (which may not be the beginning or the
> end of the function, but somewhere in the middle), so I can "plan" for
> the chunk size (e.g. have a table of chunk size vs. max memory usage).
>
> Is there a trick for determining this?
>
> --j
>
> --
> Jonathan A. Greenberg, PhD
> Assistant Professor
> Global Environmental Analysis and Remote Sensing (GEARS) Laboratory
> Department of Geography and Geographic Information Science
> 607 South Mathews Avenue, MC 150
> Urbana, IL 61801
> Phone: 217-300-1924
> http://www.geog.illinois.edu/~jgrn/