On Jul 11, 2013, at 1:37 AM, Rolf Turner wrote:

> On 11/07/13 17:57, Prof Brian Ripley wrote:

>>> Since you are clearly out of your league with respect to compiling from
>>> source, now is the time to ask (again), why are you not installing the
>>> binary package?
>>>
>>> At the R command line just type:
>>>
>>> install.packages("PReMiuM")  # should default to type="win.binary" and use
>>> a CRAN mirror
>>>

>> Or as she seems to want to use a later version than on CRAN, to ask again
>> why she does not use winbuilder.
>>

> But the winbuilder web page explicitly says:
>
>> Please do not upload packages of other maintainers (particularly not without
>> changing the Maintainer field to your own e-mail address, if you have
>> permissions to do that), because the maintainer indicated in the maintainer
>> field of the DESCRIPTION file get response from us. Please do not upload
>> BioConductor packages or CRAN packages. Both BioConductor and CRAN do have
>> build systems. If BioConductor or CRAN packages are not available for
>> Windows, there is a certainly a reason and also this service won't be able
>> to build the package properly.
>
> So it would appear that it is *not* advisable for Ms. Leigh to use winbuilder.

I read that paragraph as saying that if a specific package , i.e. a particular
numbered version, is already on CRAN or the BioC server, then do not duplicate
effort. Also do not submit if a CRAN compilation resulted in an error.
Especially in light of Prof. Ripley's (reiterated) advice, I did not read it as
saying that a pre-release update to an existing package should not be submitted
(after suitable alterations of the DESCRIPTION file.)

--
David Winsemius
Alameda, CA, USA