Hi Steve,

it seems to me, that you want to pass an object inside of getDelayProfile. In
this case you must use setReplaceMethod("getDelayProfile<-",....) in your
definition inside the virtual and of course also in the specification of
OP_Appt. R does not know, that your function should give back an object, that
replaces the one on which it was called.

Otherwise making any modifications on the slot of the object inside the
function will never arrive at the object outside of the function. They have two
different environments and as soon as you modify an object inside of a function
R builds a copy of it. See more about this by googling R pass-by-value.

By the way: I wouldn't call this function getDelayProfile as getters and
setters have usually differing a different meaning (encapsulation) in OO
programming. Use rather something like fetchDelayProfile or
initializeDelayProfile. It will probably make it easier for Users and
Programmers to work with your program.

Hope this helps

Best

Simon