To close the thread, I wanted to post my solution to this issue.

Searching some other help threads, I found this:

https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-help/2008-August/171321.html

So, here's what I did:

I got at the script for lmerFrames by doing this:

edit(lme4:::lmerFrames)

then edited the code to allow zero weights, and assigned it to a new
function:

my.lmerFrames<-function (...}

and then did this:

library(R.utils)

reassignInPackage("lmerFrames", pkgName="lme4", my.lmerFrames)

Voila, things execute, no error.

Note also that R.utils requires some additional packages (R.oo, R.methodsS3
before you can use it.