Hi Camilo,

you don't say what platform you are running on, but the version of the
underlying netcdf library installed on your machine must have been properly
compiled to enable access to files greater than 2GB. Otherwise,  the R
interface to the netcdf library cannot work with such files. You might
check how old your netcdf library is and/or whether it was compiled with
large file support.

If you are working on Linux, I suggest upgrading to ncdf4 instead of
continuing with ncdf; the ncdf package was deprecated many years ago and
does not get bug fixes.

Regards,

--Dave

On Sat, Aug 17, 2013 at 12:56 PM, Camilo Mora <cm...@dal.ca> wrote:

> HI everyone,
>
> I have encountered a problem while using ncdf to open nc files in R. I
> found in the internet several comments in the past but no solution.
>
> I could not find a direct solution but I found the source of the problem,
> if anyone may know where the solution could be, and an indirect solution.
>
> The problem occurs when opening large nc files with the ncdf package at
> 64bits. There may be a default setting on how big the files can be because
> the file opens just fine in R at 32 bits (I could not use the 32 bit
> version as very soon my process reached the RAM memory limit).
>
> If of interest to anyone, I ended up splitting my files (making them
> smaller than 2GB) using a software call NCO:
> http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/**Support/talk_archives/2007/**1053.html<http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Support/talk_archives/2007/1053.html>
> and then working in R at 64..
>
> Cheers,
>
> Camilo
>

> Camilo Mora, Ph.D.
> Department of Geography, University of Hawaii
> Currently available in Colombia
> Phone:   Country code: 57
>          Provider code: 313
>          Phone 776 2282
>          From the USA or Canada you have to dial 011 57 313 776 2282
> http://www.soc.hawaii.edu/**mora/ <http://www.soc.hawaii.edu/mora/>

David W. Pierce
Division of Climate, Atmospheric Science, and Physical Oceanography
Scripps Institution of Oceanography, La Jolla, California, USA
(858) 534-8276 (voice)  /  (858) 534-8561 (fax)    dpie...@ucsd.edu