On Thu, Aug 29, 2013 at 5:40 AM, jim holtman <jholt...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Here is how I would do it since are reading in the entire file.  This
> breaks on each "Flow Budget" section, extracts the RECHARGE values and
> puts them in a list with the name of the Flow Budget:

I learned more R in studying your solution than I could've in a week
devoted to googling R.  Thank you for making short work of the problem.

> What is the problem that you are trying to solve?
> Tell me what you want to do, not how you want to do it.

To answer your question, I'm simply trying to plot various components of
the flow budget (e.g., recharge, lake seepage) for any zone that I name
through time.  For example, I tried altering your solution to restrict the
retrieved output to zone 2 only:

indx <- grep("Flow Budget for Zone  2|  RECHARGE =", input)

But this was wholly unsatisfactory because I got recharge for all the other
zones as well:

 [1] "                          RECHARGE =   0.12898E+06"
 [2] "                          RECHARGE =    0.0000    "
 [3] "     Flow Budget for Zone  2 at Time Step   1 of Stress Period   2"
 [4] "                          RECHARGE =   0.27416E+06"
 [5] "                          RECHARGE =    0.0000    "
 [6] "                          RECHARGE =    81084.    "
 [7] "                          RECHARGE =    0.0000    "
 [8] "                          RECHARGE =    45295.    "
 [9] "                          RECHARGE =    0.0000    "
[10] "                          RECHARGE =    71834.    "
[11] "                          RECHARGE =    0.0000    "
[12] "                          RECHARGE =    97739.    "
[13] "                          RECHARGE =    0.0000    "
[14] "                          RECHARGE =   0.12100E-01"
[15] "                          RECHARGE =    0.0000    "
[16] "                          RECHARGE =    25350.    "
[17] "                          RECHARGE =    0.0000    "
[18] "                          RECHARGE =    6167.2    "
[19] "                          RECHARGE =    0.0000    "
[20] "                          RECHARGE =    28608.    "

My thinking at this point is to amend your original solution to account for
"composite zones":

indx <- grep("Flow Budget for Zone|Flow Budget for Composite Zone|RECHARGE
=", input)

and from this extract zone 2's "RECHARGE", or composite zone 10's "LAKE
SEEPAGE", etc.  So from the output as I now have it (example shown below),
how does one search this form of output for zone 2, or composite zone 10?

and leaving the rest of the R as is, I get processed results not unlike
what you showed, only with composite zones taken into acct (shown below).
 So, the final step of "what" I like to do is to then plot a time series of
"RECHARGE" (not including "UZF RECHAGE") for Zone 2, or plot "LAKE SEEPAGE"
for "Composite Zone 10" over all 574 stress periods.

result[1:100]
$`     Flow Budget for Zone  1 at Time Step   1 of Stress Period   2`
[1] 128980      0

$`     Flow Budget for Zone  2 at Time Step   1 of Stress Period   2`
[1] 274160      0

$`     Flow Budget for Zone  3 at Time Step   1 of Stress Period   2`
[1] 81084     0

$`     Flow Budget for Zone  4 at Time Step   1 of Stress Period   2`
[1] 45295     0

$`     Flow Budget for Zone  5 at Time Step   1 of Stress Period   2`
[1] 71834     0

$`     Flow Budget for Zone  6 at Time Step   1 of Stress Period   2`
[1] 97739     0

$`     Flow Budget for Zone  7 at Time Step   1 of Stress Period   2`
[1] 0.0121 0.0000

$`     Flow Budget for Zone 94 at Time Step   1 of Stress Period   2`
[1] 0 0

$`     Flow Budget for Zone 95 at Time Step   1 of Stress Period   2`
[1] 0 0

$`     Flow Budget for Zone 96 at Time Step   1 of Stress Period   2`
[1] 0 0

$`     Flow Budget for *Composite Zone* CZ001      at Time Step   1 of
Stress Period   2`
[1] 587810      0

$`     Flow Budget for *Composite Zone* CZ002      at Time Step   1 of
Stress Period   2`
[1] 725030      0

$`     Flow Budget for *Composite Zone* CZ003      at Time Step   1 of
Stress Period   2`
[1] 1312800       0