On Mon, Sep 2, 2013 at 5:01 PM, David Epstein
<david.epst...@warwick.ac.uk> wrote:
> Dear Yihui
> Thanks very much for drawing my attention to knitr, which I had not heard of
> before. Also thanks for pointing out the bug in Sweave, which I don't fully
> understand, but I don't want to spend time and effort on understanding it. So
> I hope you will find time to report the bug. I was pretty sure there was a
> bug somewhere that was preventing me from doing what I wanted to do in
> Sweave, but I misdiagnosed the source of the problem.
>
> I notice you didn't use print() or cat() in your short program for knitr. Is
> it the case that it's necessary to use print() or cat() with \Sexpr in
> Sweave, but unnecessary in knitr?

No, print() is superfluous; it is not necessary for either Sweave or
knitr, and cat() is a wrong way to go here, since cat() returns
character(0).

> I'll stick to Sweave for my current project, and try out knitr on my next
> project. I would welcome a list of documents about knitr that I should
> download, so as to make it as easy as possible to get started. I don't want
> to understand the internals of knitr, but I am interested in any documents on
> knitr, written by you or by others, directed at the user, rather than at
> programmers of packages.

Electronic version of the documentation: http://yihui.name/knitr Paper
version: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1482203537

You do not need to understand the internals of knitr, otherwise I
would not mention it at all. Depending on the size and complexity of
your project, it may take you a few seconds or hours to switch from
Sweave to knitr: http://yihui.name/knitr/demo/sweave/

Whatever editor you use: http://yihui.name/knitr/demo/editors/

> @Duncan: thanks for indicating the use of cat() instead of print(). However,
> due to the bug in Sweave pointed out by Yihui, replacing print by cat didn't
> help me.
>
> Thanks
> David

Regards,