Hi,

Sorry to bother you again.

I tried doing regressions using lme (because i want p-values) and ran
across two issues.

*(1) about model specification:*

this is a mixed model. i tried two model specifications:

(a) specify that subjectID ("subj") is nested within the between-subject
variable ("age"):
*  summary(lme(bias ~ dprime * emo * race * age, random =~ 1|age/subj, data
= data)) *
  => gives NaN p-values for "age" :-(

(b) omit to specify the nested relationship between the variables:
*  summary(lme(bias ~ dprime * emo * race * age, random =~ 1|subj, data =
data))*
  => gives numerical p-values for "age"

should i go with the specification (b), even if the variables are indeed
nested?
is the formula in (a) wrong?

*(2) about anova(model):*

because several of the factors have more than 2 levels, i wanted to use *
anova()* on the model to compute p-values for the whole effects.

however, the results from *summary(model)* and *anova(model)* are
inconsistent.

sometimes significant variables in *summary(model)* are not significant in *
anova(model)*, sometimes the reverse occurs. this also happens with factors
that only have 2 levels (so not due to dummy variables).

is this normal, is it a bad sign? what does it mean?

Thank you for any hint about those issues.

Best,
L.