Thanks for the help guys.  Sorry, I will not post further RStudio questions
here.  Yihui, thanks for the tip.  Looks like these commands would do:

grDevices::pdf.options(useDingbats = FALSE); require(knitr);
opts_knit$set(concordance = TRUE); knit('filename.rnw',
encoding='UTF-8')

pdflatex filename.tex

evince filename.pdf