It is difficult to advise you when you don't provide reproducible data.
 For example, you could include the first 6 lines of your data using
     dput(head(mydata))

If you have GPS points stored as easting, northing, and if you have a
variable that identifies the vessel, and if your data are sorted by date
and time, then you might be able to get the plot you want using something
like this:

plot(easting[vessel="This One"], northing[vessel="This One"], type="l")

Jean