Sorry for the html code:

I'm writing a function that needs an optional variable. If the variable is
given, then a subset must be made using that variable, but if the variable
is not given the subset must be done using all the values for that variable
(ignoring that variable).

Something like this:

band <- function(file, fruit = "apple", optional=TRUE) {

data <- read.csv(file)

a <- nrow(subset(data, 'Column 1' == fruit & 'Column 2'=="hot" & 'Column
3'== optional))

b <- nrow(subset(data,'Column 1' == fruit & 'Column 2'=="cold" & 'Column
3'== optional))

z <- a+b

 print(z)

 }
*
*
What I need is that the function band("file","orange"),  subset the data
frame using all possible values for Column 3 but is not doing it.

All ideas are welcome.

Thanks.

David Mora