On 28/10/2013 16:19, Arnaud Mosnier wrote:
Hi all,

I am quite new in the world of parallelization and I wonder if there is a
way to increase the speed of creation of a parallel socket cluster. The
time spend to include threads increase exponentially with the number of

It increases linearly in my tests (or a decent OS). But really if parallel computing is worthwhile you will be doing minutes of work on each worker process and the startup time will not be signifcant.

thread considered and I use of computer with two 8 cores CPU and thus
showing a total of 32 threads in windows 7.

The first way to speed things up: use a decent OS: forking clusters is much faster.

Currently, I use the default parameters (type = "PSOCK"), but is there any
fine tuning parameters that I can use to take advantage of this system ?

Thanks in advance for your help !

Arnaud

R version 3.0.1 (2013-05-16)
Platform: x86_64-w64-mingw32/x64 (64-bit)

Brian D. Ripley,                  rip...@stats.ox.ac.uk