On 10/30/2013 11:03 PM, Stevan Lauriault wrote:
Hi,

I'm looking for a function that takes a list and calculates a score based on
how well "like attracts like".
For example:

list1<- c(john, eric, steve, john, eric, scott, john)
list2<- c(john, john, john, eric, eric, steve, scott)

score(list1)<  score(list2)

Both lists are composed of the same names and frequency of each
name.

Not sure how else to put it.  I am relatively new to R.  Have tried the
modularity function, but can't seem to get it to work for this purpose.

Hi Steve,
My first guess would be a distance function. Something like the variance of the indices of the various names:

by(1:length(list1),list1,var)
by(1:length(list2),list2,var)

How you will handle the NAs generated by single names is another matter.

Jim