Dear R experts,

I was wondering how I could do a fit (say minimum chi2) to a 1D data with error
bars. I searched quite a lot on the web, found out about the fitdistr()
function in MASS, etc., but none of the things I found gives what I am really
looking for. Perhaps I do not exactly know the proper terminology and this is
why I cannot find the solution. We could also probably describe it as
"parameter estimation using the minimum chi2 method using data with error bars
and an arbitrary fitting function".

Anyway, in order not to confuse people with possibly incorrect terminology, let
me show you what I am really looking for. Here is a page that shows what I want
in Matlab (see the section on weighted fit):

http://www.mathworks.com/matlabcentral/fileexchange/10176-ezyfit-2-41/content/ezyfit/demo/html/efdemo.html#19

Could you please help?

Thanks in advance,
e.