On 20/11/2013 21:42, Ben Bolker wrote:
megan herting <mherting <at> chla.usc.edu> writes:

Hello,

I installed the newest version of R (3.0.2) as well as the
newest version of
nlme (3.1-113) in order to use summary.lmList and other
nlme functions. Once
  but a number of
additional functions cannot be found via command.

Versions installed and loaded are correct. Any suggestions on how to allow
for these functions of the new version of nlme to be found and used?

   R started exporting a lot fewer functions from base packages
(i.e., making them easily/publicly available).  You can use

Well, nlme is not a base package (it is a recommended package), and summary.lmList was not exported in 2004 when the current SVN repository was started. And I just fired up R 2.0.0 (Oct 2004) to cross-check.

getAnywhere() to find out where a hidden method lives, if you don't
know, but in this case I think

nlme:::summary.lmList

should work.  (For everyday use you shouldn't need to dig out
hidden functions with ::: -- if you have an object of class 'lmList',
then summary(object) should just work.)

As ?summary.lmList says the 'Usage' is.

So someone is using some very old documentation.

--
Brian D. Ripley,                  rip...@stats.ox.ac.uk