Hi!

I’m running glmer (lme4) models with biodiversity data and I’m having trouble
with understanding/finding information on how the offset() option is
implemented.

Explicitly, I’m wondering if the offset is only implemented on the dependent
variable (as I think it is), or does it also affect independent variables in
the model (was told this by a stat guy at our department)?

My data is inventories of birds (species richness and abundance) at the scale
of whole farms. Thus, each observation has a different inventory area which I
am accounting for in the model as: offset = log(INVAREA).

However, as a fixed effect in the model I’ve got the number of different crop
types in the inventoried area. As this variable is also affected by inventoried
area, I would like to account for this in some way, but I find it difficult to
know the best way to do so.

Right now, I have made a linear quadratic function (using lm) of crop number ~
inventoried area + inventoried area^2 to describe how crop number increases
with increasing sample size (area). Then, I have subtracted fitted values from
observed number of crops and used this measure in the models. Is this a
reasonable work around?

Thanks,
Jonas

Jonas Josefsson (PhD student)
Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences (SLU)
Department of Ecology
Box 7044
750 07 Uppsala
Sweden