Hi. Thanks. Which part? I looked at the below but I don't think it clearly
addresses the nested ifelse situation.

ifelse {base}R DocumentationConditional Element Selection Description

ifelse returns a value with the same shape as test which is filled with
elements selected from either yes or no depending on whether the element of
test is TRUE or FALSE.
Usage

ifelse(test, yes, no)

Argumentstest

an object which can be coerced to logical mode.
yes

return values for true elements of test.
no

return values for false elements of test.
Details

If yes or no are too short, their elements are recycled. yes will be
evaluated if and only if any element of test is true, and analogously for no
.

Missing values in test give missing values in the result.
Value

A vector of the same length and attributes (including dimensions and "class")
as test and data values from the values of yes or no. The mode of the
answer will be coerced from logical to accommodate first any values taken
from yes and then any values taken from no.
Warning

The mode of the result may depend on the value of test (see the examples),
and the class attribute (see
oldClass<http://127.0.0.1:27631/library/base/help/oldClass>)
of the result is taken from testand may be inappropriate for the values
selected from yes and no.

Sometimes it is better to use a construction such as

  (tmp <- yes; tmp[!test] <- no[!test]; tmp)

, possibly extended to handle missing values in test. References

Becker, R. A., Chambers, J. M. and Wilks, A. R. (1988) *The New S Language*.
Wadsworth & Brooks/Cole.
See Also

if <http://127.0.0.1:27631/library/base/help/if>.
Examples

x <- c(6:-4)
sqrt(x)  #- gives warning
sqrt(ifelse(x >= 0, x, NA))  # no warning

## Note: the following also gives the warning !
ifelse(x >= 0, sqrt(x), NA)

## example of different return modes:
yes <- 1:3
no <- pi^(0:3)
typeof(ifelse(NA, yes, no))    # logical
typeof(ifelse(TRUE, yes, no))  # integer
typeof(ifelse(FALSE, yes, no)) # double