Thank you.  I've tried what you're suggesting, at an earlier suggestion
from another respondent, and I don't find my variable in any of lists
ls() through ls(7).

I'm just going back to using R after being away from statistics for
several years.  I'm thinking I might uninstall R, then reinstall it, and
redo my work so far (I've kept the commands elsewhere), and avoid using
"attach," as someone else has suggested.

David