Patrick,

You were pretty close.
To fix the code you have, just change "matrix" to "mymatrix" in two places,
and either specify the argument data= or place the heat.colors bit first in
the matrix function.

Or ... you could use the array() function instead, to shorten up the code a
little.
     mycol <- array(heat.colors(max(mymatrix[, 3:5]))[mymatrix[, 3:5]],
dim=dim(mymatrix))

Jean