First of all I thank all the friends.

Though I  have written zero to replace NA in  previous email, I will replace
with extreme value (99999).

On Tuesday, 21 January 2014 7:05 AM, jwd [via R]
<ml-node+s789695n4683894...@n4.nabble.com> wrote:

On Sun, 19 Jan 2014 11:39:43 -0800 (PST)

kingsly <[hidden email]> wrote:

________________________________
The age variable is being read in as a factor because of the
"".  If you were to replace it with NA, the type becomes numerical:

Before replacement:

str(Elder1)
'data.frame':   5 obs. of  2 variables:
 $ ID : Factor w/ 5 levels "ID1","ID2","ID3",..: 1 2 3 4 5
 $ age: Factor w/ 3 levels "","35","38": 3 2 1 NA NA

Notice that the "" is treated as a factor level.

After:

str(Elder1)
'data.frame':   5 obs. of  2 variables:
 $ ID : Factor w/ 5 levels "ID1","ID2","ID3",..: 1 2 3 4 5
 $ age: num  38 35 NA NA NA

SO, the question, is what do you want to do with that column?  An "NA"
value tells you honestly that the information is missing.  Replacing it
with a zero can be misleading and can bias some basic parameter
estimates.

After you know how you want to treat the data in that field, you may
have a better idea of how to handle the missing data.

JWD

NAML