I think I have a hole in my understanding of how R uses packages (or at
least how it gives functions in packages priority).  I thought I would give
the new dplyr package a test drive this morning (which is blazingly fast
BTW) and I've gone down the rabbit hole.

The issue is that I'm unable to use both plyr and dplyr in a program that
I'm writing.  When I initially install dplyr and I look at the summarise
function everything works great but if I then install the plyr package the
summarise function from dplyr is then masked with the plyr summarise
function taking priority.  I can't seem to figure out a way to get the
dplyr summarise to become the main function...

What am I missing here? Can you not use the dplyr and plyr packages at the
same time?

Example:
=========================
> require(dplyr)

Attaching package: 'dplyr'

The following objects are masked from 'package:stats':

    filter, lag

The following objects are masked from 'package:base':

    intersect, setdiff, setequal, union

> summarise
function (.data, ...)
UseMethod("summarise")
<environment: namespace:dplyr>

=======================
***However, if I then install plyr I get what is below and masks the dplyr
summarise function:**

> require(plyr)
Attaching package: 'plyr'
The following objects are masked from 'package:dplyr':
    arrange, desc, failwith, id, mutate, summarise
> summarise
function (.data, ...)
{
    stopifnot(is.data.frame(.data) || is.list(.data) ||
is.environment(.data))
...}
<environment: namespace:plyr>

** Then no going back...