Sorry that I forgot to include R Help in the addressee list. Here is one of
my earlier follow-up emails.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Xiaogang Su <xiaogan...@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, Feb 26, 2014 at 8:48 AM
Subject: Re: [R] Fitting glm with maxit=0?
To: Prof Brian Ripley <rip...@stats.ox.ac.uk>

Thanks Prof. Ripley for the reply. Certainly, the theorem is for MLE. But
MLE is not the only best asyptotical normal estimator.  In particular, i am
interested in a class of estimators that are close to MLE in an order
smaller than 1/sqrt(n). By Slutsky theorem, they also follow the same
asymptotic normal dist as MLE. In computing the information matrix, one
could use the estimate itself instead of plugging in MLE.

Anyhow, i think it would be a good feature to have with glm.

One last note, forcing at least one more iteration, as in the current
version of glm, is not wrong as that essentially gives a one step estimator.

Xiaogang Su, Ph.D.
Associate Professor
Department of Mathematical Sciences
University of Texas at El Paso