On 02/03/14 05:04, Christian De Santis wrote:

Thanks for your reply Ista and Duncan,

i solved the issue and you were both right. Ista, my file was spelled
with a capital L (as in "Light") and it wasn't recognized. However,
this was never a problem in windows as Duncan pointed out. You live
and learn. :-)

I would just like to point out that it *was* a problem in Windoze, and
is *not* a problem in Ubuntu. One *wants* names/words to be case sensitive; that's why we have cases!

If you are used to an OS that does things wrong, then it takes a while to adjust to one that does things right, but doing it right is still the right thing to do.

cheers,

Rolf Turner

Thanks very much,
Christian
From: Duncan Murdoch [murdoch.dun...@gmail.com]
Sent: Saturday, March 01, 2014 10:50 AM
To: Christian De Santis; r-help@r-project.org
Subject: Re: [R] Problem importing file in R after switching from windows to
Ubuntu

On 14-02-28 4:47 PM, Christian De Santis wrote:
Dear R List,

today i have installed Ubuntu as i decided to give this a try after running R
in windows was always running out of memory in making my figures. I have copied
my working folders into Ubuntu and changed the WD and the \\ into /. I tried to
re run the script and it was going all well till i tried to read a csv database
into R.

Annot <-
read.csv("~/Documents/DATABASES/Functional_Annotations/Salar_2_Annot_light.csv",
header = TRUE)
Error in file(file, "rt") : cannot open the connection In addition: Warning message: In
file(file, "rt") : cannot open file
'/home/cd46/Documents/DATABASES/Functional_Annotations/Salar_2_Annot_light.csv': No such file or
directory

The code is right, and i checked it many times. I copied pasted in

setwd("~/Documents/DATABASES/Functional_Annotations")
and it works fine! The file is there too, i have checked and manually opened
it. I know the message is telling me that he can't find the file or the
directory but really, they are there and they are right (i think).

Can someone give me some suggestions? What could i try? Or even better maybe
you have a solution.

Likely Ubuntu is treating the file system as case sensitive; Windows
usually does not.

Another possibility is that you don't have read permission on the file.

Duncan Murdoch