Hi All,

I've run across an odd phenomenon and I am wondering if someone might be
able to provide insight as to what is going on. I'm running some R code
that was provided by a collaborator, who is not a very experienced R
programmer (e.g., the code is functional but not very efficient). When I
run it from the terminal or command line everything executes, albeit very
slowly- the logfile suggests that the program is about 5% done after
running over last weekend. Top indicates that it is maxing out one of my
CPUs and chewing up a lot of memory, which I expect.

 The strange thing is that my collaborator insists that the code executes
on the order of minutes on his 2012 macbook pro with 8G of memory. I am
running it with ubuntu 12.04 on a dual-core i7 with 32G, and it's slow as
molasses. That suggests a configuration issue of some kind with R that I
might not be aware of (I am more experienced in R and usually don't write
code that requires resources like that). I have played with my swappiness
and the effect seems to be minimal. Can anyone suggest something else that
could be going on? I have considered trying to run it directly on a unix
server, but the code has a lot of third-party dependencies that would be a
bit of work to set up for simple troubleshooting. And naturally I'd prefer
that R be configured correctly in the event that I need to locally run
something more intense in the future.

 Thanks in advance for any advice you can give. This message has been
cross-posted omn the ubuntu forums.

-R