On Apr 6, 2014, at 4:21 PM, Marc Girondot wrote:

Le 06/04/2014 16:47, David W. Pierce a écrit :
Hi Marc,

those packages are just interfaces to the netcdf library that must already exist on your machine. Try installing the netcdf library first, and then installing the R package.

You will need the development version of the netcdf library installed in order to compile the R packages. Hopefully the exact package name will be obvious in the package manager on your system.

Thanks a lot for these infos.
Here are the last news for my problem of installation package in 3.1:

I have installed macport and then I have tried to install development version of netcdf library:
sudo port install netcdf-devel
Error: Port netcdf-devel not found

Macports installs its packages in folders that are not standard and then R packages don't find them (at least that's my understanding of the reason Macports causes troubles with R packages.) You are asked not to use it for packages that R will be linking to. So maybe that error will be a boon rather than a bane. Doing a search on: [ macports Urbanek] in the archive of r-sig-mac should provide further details. This really should have been posted there.

The netcdf library is available in macport but not the development one.

In the meantime, I have tried to install ncdf and ncdf4 package after downloading the MacosX binary versions at:
http://cran.r-project.org/bin/macosx/contrib/r-release/ncdf_1.6.6.tgz
http://cran.r-project.org/bin/macosx/contrib/r-release/ncdf4_1.10.tgz

I have installed both using the install_local() function of the package devtools.
Both install and run correctly.

The same procedure applied to RNetCDF (http://cran.r-project.org/web/packages/RNetCDF/index.html ) has produced an error during installation.

I have installed other packages in 3.1, or directly using install.packages() or loading the MacosX binary and using install_local(). I have still a problem with rgdal (http://cran.r-project.org/web/packages/rgdal/index.html ). Probably again it is a problem of library (gdal) that is not present. I will wait that binary library is available in CRAN.

GDAL is an external package.
http://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/wiki/DownloadingGdalBinaries

rgdal is the R interface package that you would use to get GDAL functionality.

--

David Winsemius, MD
Alameda, CA, USA