p.s.  I don't need to use R for this, though I'd prefer to stay with
something that's free, open-source software.  I tried GIMP, but couldn't
see how to access the layers.

Hi, Peter:

On 4/21/2014 3:34 AM, Peter Crowther wrote:
> Spencer, what "components" do you want to extract?  Do the SVG files
> have a reasonably well-defined structure?  I've done a fair amount
> with SVG and may be able to help.

       Thanks.  I should have been more specific:  I'd like to try to
extract into 3 separate files the weapons of mass destruction symbols
from the "WMD_world_map.svg" image in the Wiikipedia article on "Weapons
of mass destruction"
(https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/1d/WMD_world_map.svg).

       I've opened it in Emacs enough to see that it's a structured text
file consistent with what little I know about XML.  It looks to me like
a list, but without convenient names for the list components.

       Thanks again,
       Spencer

p.s.  I found the biohazard symbol by itself
(https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/c0/Biohazard_symbol.svg),
but I didn't find the radioactive and skull-and-crossbones symbols in
exactly that form.  (I didn't look seriously beyond Wikimedia commons,
because I'm making a video, and I want something I can release under the
Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike license.

--
Spencer Graves, PE, PhD
President and Chief Technology Officer