On 19/05/2014, 10:42 AM, Alexander Shenkin wrote:
Hi Folks,

I have a set of x,y,z points in 3D space that defines the outline of a
tree crown (5 - 15 perimeter points + 1 top & bottom point). I would
like to calculate the volume of the corresponding 3D polygon based on
those points.  I have been able to use geometry::convhulln, but I think
this isn't the right algorithm, since the polygon needs to pass through
each point in order, and not just snap a rubber-band around the outer
points.

Any suggestions for alternative algorithms and packages would be most
welcome!

If you aren't using the convex hull, you need to specify more information. The vertices of a polyhedron don't have a natural order, so passing through them "in order" doesn't make sense.

One way to specify this information is to specify which triples of vertices form triangular faces, as convhulln does.

I don't know of a package containing code to compute the volume, but a description of the algorithm is on this page:

http://www.ecse.rpi.edu/~wrf/Research/Short_Notes/volume.html

Duncan Murdoch

Thanks,
Allie